Saturday, 7 October 2017

Painting table reorganized

A long overdue re organization of my painting table. I had rumbled along with my Vallejo and foundry paints for many years, and the table had become very cluttered and rather messy, as seen below.     Also many of the paints had cracked lids(the foundry pots) and worn labels, with little paint left in them.



Over the years i have normally got away with a few additions here and there, but had reached the point where a major overhaul was needed. After watching alot of youtube paint reviews( One of the great benifits of todays computer age) i invested in scale 75 paints and also purchased several reaper master paints, all browns to use for horse colours.  First impressions of the new paints are money well spent, both are great, and i plan to add more reaper paints in due time to replace the Vallejo and foundry paints i have left over.
  After purchasing the new paints i then bought some paint racks, one made of MDF for Vallejo size paint pots and the other a cheap plastic nail polish rack( another great tip from youtube!) The nail polish rack has the advantage of being able to hold any type of model paint pot.

Next job was to give the table surface a good scrub, wire wool being deployed to remove years of paint splash!

  The end result is a lot of old paints thrown in the bin and a lot of new paints sitting nice and organized on my painting table.


8 comments:

  1. I did not think anyone could have more of a mess on their paint table than me:P

    I just got done pulling everything off the table and then dusting, only to realize when I was putting everything back that I needed like two more paint racks... it's always something. Definitely going to check out the nail polish rack idea!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin, my nail polish rack was from ebay for £9.99p incl postage, much cheaper than the purpose made MDF racks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I also reorganized (re-started) my paint collection recently. I ordered (from Amazon IRRC) a starter set of Vallejo Game color - and also a Vallejo paint rack. A lot of the paints, particularly the yellow and dark green don't cover as well as the Model Color paints I used in the past. I may have to try out Scale 75 (hadn't heard of them before). Also, I find access to the brushed in the back of the rack somewhat labored with taller craft paint stored in front of them. It is nice to have all (or most) of my paint gear in one place though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dean, i have developed mixed feelings about Vallejo paint ranges, they were my main paints for 20 years,and when i started out, were the only real choice, but as you mention not all the paints are so great. and there is a a wee bit more on the market today. I love the new scale 75 colours, and the reaper browns i purchased will give me more horse colours than i had before, i went with reaper paints for the horses as they have great blending qualities which i think will be great for the purpose i want them for!
    Another new paint range worth considering is Dark stars molton metals range, like most i am always searching for good metallics and the reviews of this range are impressive so i have taken the plunge and bought the hole range, hopefully they will be the answer to my metallic paint needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on the other ranges, Chris. I do prefer dropper bottles. Im thinking of replacing the Vallejo's. A lot of them are lumpy inside. Luckily I only picked up a 16 bottle stare set. The Gunmetal bottle is actually one of the better ones in the set. It covers wel7,even over a white undercoat. :)

      Delete
    2. Had the same problem with Vallejo Dean, i am not very good at reviews, but i can say up to now the scale 75 and reaper paints have not dissapointed, and in due course i will ditch whats left of my Vallejo and fill in any gaps with reaper master paints!

      Delete
  5. Scale 75 sounds interesting, I'll have to check them out. I've got a mish mash of artists acrylics, gw , vallejo and various others, difficult to change but admirable that you are able to!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iain, mine were Vallejo ranges, and wargames foundry paint triads. All were old and well used!
      After alot of research i will use scale 75 backed up with reaper master paints and dark stars molten metals for metallics!

      Delete