Monday, 23 March 2015

Swiss Halberdiers 1 and Saubanner

The first two ranks of Swiss halberdiers completed, when all are finished it will be 32 strong, which seems about right to represent the Nachhut. They are the usual mix of Perry and foundry figures with a sprinkling of head swaps! I am going to use the Swiss national flag in the pointed Fahnlein type. I can see no other alternative as this group would be made up of contingents from all cantons so a single canton flag seems inappropriate.



Having the foundry halberdier pack has left me with three spare swiss halberdiers in a standing position which would not have fitted in with the flow and movement of the collection so I am going to convert one to a banner bearer displaying the Zug Saubanner I have sketched below, standing with the other two on a little diorama.
 
This is an actual banner in Zug museum and was apparently used as a banner in 1477 shortly after the Burgundian wars by a group of swiss from zug and other cantons who broke out into a somewhat riotous campaign demanding there share of the loot gained from the Burgundian wars.

17 comments:

  1. Excellent looking figures and love the look of the flag as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, the flag always intrigued me!

      Delete
  2. Great looking Swiss again. Love the whole look especially the painted sallets. BTW, that's a cool banner in the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dean, I don't think I have seen anyone do that banner before!

      Delete
  3. Amazing job, very colored once again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous work Chris....

    They have been painted with a loving touch and you can tell.

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Darrell, its rare for me to create a collection of my own choosing so yes I guess there is a wee bit of love going into these!

      Delete
    2. Well you have done yourself and all of the Medieval Painters out there a real service. I'd have them in my collection any day! your brushwork as seamlessly incorporated the Foundry Swiss with the Perry stuff. Kudos mate.

      Delete
  5. Great work, I love the painted red sallet with the white triangles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou kindly Oli, that's the beauty with this period, you have a free hand to decorate the helmets!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Truly fantastic work! As Dean mentioned, the helmet work is first rate and not something I have seen.

    Nifty banner too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, the banner has always been a fascination, not least because it still exists!

      Delete
  7. Awesome work yet again! I marvel at your ability to stay focused on a project which I'm utterly a failure at.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christopher, I think having a love for the period helps keep things rolling along, otherwise this would have stalled long ago, and indeed has for small periods of time but I always get back to them and get the ball rolling again!
      Hope your getting over your painters block, and painting some of your fine AWI/ ACW units soon!

      Chris

      Delete